A Mercedes-Benz 1213
carrying a Single-Side-Band HF 1 kW radio-station known
as the M/73. The setup superseded a number of SCR-399
radios carried on GMC CCKW-353 trucks. The M/73 contained 2 CR-302A receivers
and 1 each CTD 500 and CTP 1000 transmitter. The setup was powered by a
trailer mounted 2 x 7.5 kW generator producing 380 volt A/C.
Besides the shelter-mounted antennas an A367 dipole antenna was used for
long range transmissions. It was a horizontally polarized short wave
antenna with circular radiation pattern, and intended for transmission
as well as reception within the frequency range 1.6 - 25 MHz.
The antenna was made up by a number of copper coated steel wires,
suspended horizontally between two masts, 12 meters high. The masts were
located 43 metres apart. The antenna was fed via a feeding transformer
suspended in the middle section of the antenna. Total weight of the
dipole antenna was 181 kg.
This set-up was used by all Signal Battalions from the
late 1970´s to around year 2000. Some battalions used a Bedford
MJP2 to carry the