Specific: The Landrover 88,
Half Ton was used as TOW-vehicle (shown) and scout-car. 3
petrol-driven vehicles were delivered in 1974, and after
trials in 1978 75 diesel-engined Half-tons were delivered
in the period 1978 - 1979.
Also used by the Danish Contingent on Cyprus.
Historical: The Half Ton were designed to meet
the special air-portable requirements of the British
Army, Royal Air Force and the Royal Marines.
Specifications were drawn up in 1964, and a joint
project team with representatives from Rover and Fighting
Vehicles Research & Development Establishment (FVRDE)
The specification called for a maximum overall length of 1500 mm (60
inches) so that two vehicles could be accommodated side-by-side within
the fuselage of a Armstrong Whitorth Argosy. The unladen weight had to
be less than 1134 kg (2500 lb.), so that it could be air lifted by
helicopter. Helicopters able to air-lift those days were the Wessex and the Puma.
Prototypes very similar to production models was tested by the FVRDE in
1965. A total of 11 pre-production and demonstrator machines were made
during 1966 and 1967.
Orders for 92 vehicles, known as "Truck, General Service (Rover ½-tonne,
4x4)", for the Marines and 1.000 vehicles
for the Army were placed by MOD in August 1967 and
manufacturing took place from December same year. The
Lightweight were shown for the public in September 1968,
and entered mainstream military service in the British
Army in 1969.
The first Lightweights were produced to Series IIA
specifications with their headlamps in the front grill,
but the lightning regulations that affected conventional
Series IIA Land Rovers also affected the Lightweight and
late Series IIA Lightweights had redesigned wings to
accommodate the relocated headlights.
The engine, transmission, axles, suspension and brakes
were from the commercial 88-inch, but modified for
military use. The first vehicles were equipped with
petrol engines, but from 1976 the diesel engine became
available to the Half Ton. Both General Service (GS) and
Fitted For Radio (FFR) versions were available.
From April or May 1972 full Series III specification
Lightweights were entering service.
When production ceased in 1985 more than 11.000 vehicles
had been produced.
Also used by Belgium, Brunei, Guyana, Hong Kong, Jamaica,
Indonesia, Libya, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Sudan
Length: 3.63 m (141 inches).
Width: 1.55 m (60 inches).
Height: 2.10 m (82 inches).
Weight: 2.150 kg (4.730 lb.).
Engine: Landrover 4-cylinder, 2.286 cm3 (139 cubic
inches) displacement, liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 70 at 4.000 rpm (petrol)/59 at 4.000
Transmission: 4-speed gearbox.
Transfer case: 2-speed.
Electrical system: 24 volt, negative ground.
Brakes: Hydraulic, servo-assisted.
Tyres: 7.50 - 16.
without preparation: N/A.
with preparation: 0.5 m (20 inches).
Fuel type: Petrol/diesel.
Fuel capacity: 90 liter (20 gallons).
Range: 450 km (281 miles).
Armament: 147 mm TOW-launcher (M/87). The launcher has
gone through several up-grades and is today equipped with
thermal sights. Effective range is between 65 and 3.700 m
(improved TOW). 84 launchers implemented (excluding the
56 mounted on M113).
Additional: The Half Ton TOW-carrier
have been replaced by the HMMWV