Previous vehicleBack to index page M16  

 

M21 (Front view, right side)

 
 

Front view, right side

Picture courtesy of Mogens Olsen, Havnbjerg via Brian Brodersen

 

The M16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage was a development of the M13 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage. Where the M13 had 2 cal. 050 machine guns mounted on a M33 Maxson electrical turret, the M16 had 4 machine guns on a re-designed turret known as the M45. The hinged armoured sides were notched to clear the ammunition canisters regardless of turret position. The mount were also raised by 6 inches from the floor enabling the machine guns to be fired horizontally.
Power for the turret came from two 6 volt batteries and a Briggs & Stratton charger.
The Gun Motor Carriage was designed for anti aircraft use, but it was soon realised that the firepower of four synchronised cal. 0.50 heavy machine guns made the M16 a devastating weapon in the ground support role.
White produced 2.877 M16s between May 1943 and March 1944. In addition to these, 568 M13s and 109 T10E1 were converted to M16 carriages.
Some M16 were part of the batch of half-tracks delivered to the Danish Army through the
MDAP in 1955. Before they reached the country, the Maxson turret had been removed and they were used as personnel carriers until the late 1950s. At that time some of the half-tracks were locally converted to mortar carriers.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 Danish Army Vehicles Homepage