Previous vehicleBack to index page Willys MB  

 

  Willys MB, 4 x 4, 6V (Front view, left side)

 
 

Front view, left side

Picture courtesy of Royal Signals Historical Collection, Fredericia


Danish Army Specific: 100 Willys MB/Ford GPW bought in the late 1940s/early 1950 to replace the Austin Utility. Furthermore close to 3.000 delivered though the MDAP 1951 - 1955. Some equipped with recoilless rifle (112 kb) (1956), radios (24 kb), as stretcher carrier (103 kb) and machine-guns (36 kb) (1959). Conversions were made in Denmark.
To the left behind the soldiers a
Willys CJ-3B.
Historical
: In 1940 the US Army issued a requirement for a light 4 x 4 vehicle. June 27th the Ordnance Technical Committee invited 134 companies to participate, but with only 75 days to respond no more than 3 companies entered a prototype for evaluation (American Bantam - BRC-60, Ford - Pygmy, Willys-Overland - Quad).
When the evaluation had finished, the companies were sent back to the drawing board. On December 3rd the three companies were awarded a contract for construction of 1.500 pre-production vehicles each. The vehicles from the 3 manufacturers were re-designated Bantam BRC-40, Ford GP and Willys MA respectively.
While these vehicles were produced, the US Quartermaster Corps (QMC) was drawing up a revised specification for the vehicles that would be build under the next round of contracts.
After evaluation of the vehicles from Bantam, Ford and Willys the latter was chosen. The first contract signed 30 July 1941 called for some 16.000 units. The last of these vehicles were delivered in August 1941, and immediately Willys began work on the improved model which would be called the MB. The first contract for the MB, which called for 18.600 vehicles at $ 739 each, was signed in November 1941.
Bantam received an additional contract for 1.175 units on 23 May 1941, and Ford also received further contracts for the GP and produced a total of 3.700.
Production of the MB ran until mid 1945. Ford became co-producer in late 1941 (Ford GPW) with first deliveries to take place in February 1942.
By the end of the war more than 630.000 were produced, which makes the MB/GPW the most numerous vehicle produced in WW II.
Length: 3.36 m (130 inches).
Width: 1.58 m (61 inches).
Height: 1.77 m (69 inches).
Weight: 1.575 kg (3.465 lb.).
Engine
: 4-cylinder, Willys type 442 L-head, 2.200 cm3 (134 cubic inches) displacement, carburettor, liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 60 at 4.000 rpm.
Transmission: 3-speed, type Warner T-84J.
Transfer case: 2-speed, type Spicer 18.
Electrical system: 6 volt, negative ground.
Brakes: Hydraulic (Bendix).
Tyres: 6.00 - 16.
Fording depth:
without preparation: 0.45 m (18 inches).
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 40 liter (9 gallons).
Range: 600 km (375 miles).
Crew: 1 + 3.
Additional: N/A.


Copyright 1997 - 2017 Danish Army Vehicles Homepage