Specific: 16 IHC M5 half-track were delivered
in 1946. They soldiered on in the army until the early 1960, when
superseeded by the M113-family.
Historical: The M5 from IHC has a welded body,
rather than the bolted body of the M3 half-track. The
rear corners are rounded, where as the others has square
corners, and the fenders are flatter in cross-section. The rear mounts 2
bumperettes. The mine-rack holds 12 anti-tank mines each side of the
vehicle. A camouflage netting was often placed on the fenders.
Very few parts are interchangeable between the
2 series, and for this reason most of the M5´s went for
The M5 was standardised in June 1942 and the first vehicles delivered
from the IHC Springfield, Ohio, truck plant in January 1943. When
the M49 ring mount for the 12.7 mm machine gun was introduced
in August 1943, the designation changed to M5A1.
versions of the IHC produced half-track was the M14 and
M17 Gun Motor Carriages armed with the Maxon M33 twin
12.7 mm machine gun mount and M45 quad 12.7 mm machine
gun mount respectively.
The M5A1 remained in production until March 1944, at which time all IHC
half-track production was halted. In total 4.625 M5 and 2.989 M5A1s were
For more history of the half-tracks see the M3A1-entry.
Length: 6.32 m (249 inches).
Width: 2.21 m (87 inches).
Height: 2.74 m (108 inches).
Weight: 9.225 kg (20.500 lb.).
Armour: 13 mm (0.5 inches) max.
Engine: 6-cylinder Diamond Red-450-B, 7.391 cm3 (451
cubic inches) displacement, liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 143 at 2.600 rpm.
Transfer case: 2 speed.
Electrical system: 12 volt, negative ground.
Brakes: Hydraulic, vacuum assisted.
Tyres: 8.25 - 20.
without preparation: 0.81 m (32 inches).
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 260 liter (57 gallons).
Range: 420 km (260 miles)/320 km (200 miles).
Crew: 2 + 11.
Armament: 1 cal. .50 machine-gun.
Additional: 4.5 ton (10.000 lb.) winch capacity.
M5 mortar carrier (104