Specific: The M3A1 (and IHC M5) half-track were delivered in 2
batches. 1 batch short after WW II and the second batch
was delivered as a part of the MDAP in 1955. A total of 32 units were delivered.
Superseded by the M113-family through the 1960´s and 70´s. The
M21 as late as 1979.
Historical: Designed jointly by engineers on the
Rock Island Arsenal in Illinois and White Motor Company
staff in 1937, using a M2A1 wheeled scout car modified
with boogie assembly as found on the T9 Ford 1½ ton
truck. This vehicle was known as the "half-track
personnel carrier, T7".
Standardised as the M2 in September 1940 on basis of the
T14 produced by the White Motor Company. The M2 had large
outward opening hatches for the storage lockers.
Late 1940 the slightly lengthened M3 which had been
developed by the Diamond T Motor Car Company was
introduced. Among other noticeable changes was the
addition of a rear door.
These were replaced by the M2A1 and M3A1 in May 1943
using the M49 ring mount for a 7.62 mm (cal 0.30) or 12.7
mm (cal. 0.50) machine gun in place of the skate rail. In
addition pintle mounts were mounted in the rear fighting
compartment for further 7.62 mm machine guns.
Representatives from White (Cleveland, Ohio), Diamond
(Chicago, Illinois) and the Autocar Company (Ardmore,
Pennsylvania), together with the Ordnance Department,
formed the Half-track Engineering Committee. Since the
demand for half-tracks were greater than any one builder
could satisfy, the committee was charged with both
designing the vehicles and ensuring that, regardless of
manufacturer, all parts except armour plate were
To increase production IHC was contracted for equivalent
half-tracks, the M5 and the M9 in 1942. These vehicles
used the company's own engine, transmission transfer and
When production was scaled down in 1944 more than 50.000
half-tracks of all marks had been produced.
Known users besides the US are Belgium, the Netherlands,
France, Germany, Great Britain, Israel and Russia.
Length: 6.32 m (246 inches).
Width: 2.20 m (86 inches).
Height: 2.20 m (86 inches).
Weight: 8.900 kg (19.580 lb.).
Armour: 13 mm (0.5 inches) max.
Engine: 6-cylinder, White Gasoline type 160AX, 6.326
cm3 (386 cubic inches) displacement, liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 147 at 3.000 rpm.
Transmission: 4-speed, type Spicer 3461.
Transfer case: 2 speed.
Electrical system: 12 volt, negative ground.
Brakes: Hydraulic, vacuum assisted.
Tyres: 8.25 - 20.
without preparation: 0.81 m (32 inches).
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 260 liter (57 gallons).
Range: 420 km (260 miles)
Crew: 2 + 11.
Armament: 1 cal. .50 machine-gun.
Additional: 5 ton winch (Tulsa, model
18G) capacity - some vehicles had a front roller rather
than a winch.
M5 (24 kb)
M16 (108 kb)