Previous manufacturerBack to index pageNext manufacturer Crossley  

Although Crossley's origins date back to the 19th century when Sir William Crossley acquired world rights (excluding Germany) from Nicolas August Otto to develop his newly invented four-stroke gas engine of 1869, the company did not enter the truck market until 1932. Prior to that it specialized in engine manufacture and, from 1912, in military vehicles.
In 1932 a range of forward-control diesel trucks for payloads of 3 to 7 tons was introduced. Three years later came their Atlas forward-control model, including a double-drive six-wheeler for 12 tons. Their brief presence in the civilian market was brought to an end at the outbreak of war in 1939.
During World War II a 4 x 4 forward-control 3-ton truck,
the Q-type, was supplied in large numbers to the RAF. No further trucks were built and the company was absorbed, along with the Maudslay Motor Company, into Associated Commercial Vehicles in 1948. ACV marketed certain AEC vehicles under the Crossley name in some export markets through to the late 1950s.

Copyright 1997 - 2016 Danish Army Vehicles Homepagee