Specific: Another example of a
vehicles bought from the British Forces in Germany just
after WW II. The truck which was used by
the Danish forces in Germany, appears to have the
original head lights replaced with a civilian style lamp.
Historical: Austin's first 6 x 4 was the
K3/YF of 1940, a derivative of the open-cab K3/YB 4 x 2
truck. It was superseded by the K6 series, with military
pattern front end and closed cab. The majority went for
the RAF, who used them with a multitude of body styles
(mainly technical types). Also seen as tipper, signals
van, breakdown gantry and with a caravan body
manufactured by Carbodies Ltd to be used by senior
More than 13.000 chassis were build until mid-1945, and
many remained in use for a lengthy period.
Engine: Own 6-cylinder, 3.995 cm3 (244 cubic inches)
Horsepower: 82 at 2.900 rpm.
Transfer case: 2-speed.
Electrical system: 12 volt.
Brakes: Hydraulic, vacuum servo assisted.
Tyres: 9.50 - 20 or 10.50 - 20.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 145 liter (32 gallons).
Additional: The crane mounted on the
truck was most probably a petrol-electric type
manufactured by Coles.