Specific: Among the first
vehicles to be received from Britain after WW II.
Historical: The four-wheel drive version (Quad-Ant) was
launched in 1938, initially as field artillery tractor.
The first two prototypes, one with a petrol engine and one with a
Gardner diesel engine, were produced under a contract placed in December
1937. The fist major contract calling for 444 vehicles was placed in
November 1938 with deliveries starting in late August the year after.
Most of the production vehicles had the beetle-neck body style that it
shared with the Morris-Commercial C8.
In 1943 the GS
version (shown) arrived. Besides cargo this version was used as tractor
for a six-pounder anti-tank gun.
When production ceased in 1944 around 4.000 had been
As a part of an attempt to rationalise the post-war fleet on the British
Army the Ant and Quad-Ant was declared obsolete and auctioned of or
passed on to other countries.
Length: 4.49 m (177 inches).
Width: 2.26 m (89 inches).
Height: 2.41 m (95 inches).
Weight: 3.327 kg (7.320 lb.).
Engine: 4-cylinder Meadows 4ELA, 3.686 cm3 (143 cubic
inches) displacement, liquid cooled, carburettor.
Horsepower: 60 at 2600 rpm.
Transfer case: Single-speed.
Electrical system: 12 volt.
Tyres: 10.50 - 20.
without preparation: N/A.
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 70 liter (15.5 gallons).
Range: 256 km (160 miles).
Additional: A armoured scout-car, based
on the Quad-Ant Field Artillery Tractor, was designed by
the Woolwich Arsenal. Prototypes were ready in 1938.