Ford trucks appeared in 1935 with the BB 2 tonner. In
1936 a 3 tonner was introduced.
Production of light trucks for the German Wehrmacht continued during WW II, mostly patterned on late 1930´s American Ford´s.
After WW II the 3 tonner continued and in the late 1940´s it became known as the Ford Rhine. A 4-cylinder version, known as the Ford Ruhr, were also available.
From 1951 German made trucks were designated the FK series (Ford-Köln). A restyled series of trucks with a payload from 1.5 to 4.8 ton was announced in 1956, powered by a V4 and V6 diesel engines.
A modified bus chassis (all wheel drive), was used to produce a series of shop vans, known as the Ford Rhein G798BA in the 1950´s. These were used by the armed forces of several NATO countries.
The Ford G 398 SAM 3 ton 4 x 4 truck, designed to meet NATO specifications, were delivered to the German Bundeswehr from 1957 to 1961. The trucks was powered by a 3.9 liter V8 petrol engine.
Around 8.000 vehicles delivered.
Trucks production at Cologne ceased in 1971, the last models being based on the UK D series.
|Copyright © 1997 - 2018 Danish Army Vehicles Homepage|