Specific: Received under MAP
around 1960. s/n 8R1-9999. The dozer (with the dozer
blade removed) is towing a Heil OC-9 scraper.
Historical: The Caterpillar D8 was introduced as
model in 1935, and was equipped with the six-cylinder
D-14000 engine which developed 144 hp. The 20 inch wide
tracks were driven through a 6-speed gearbox. Maximum
drawbar pull was 12,75 tons.
US Army designation for the D8, which was a standard M1
heavy crawler, was "Tractor, Full-Tracked,
Low-Speed, DED, Medium DBP. Used for general bulldozing,
pan pushing, tree dozing, scraper towing and other types
of construction work.
This Caterpillar machine, which was produced between 1941
and 1945, was a standard dozer, widely used in all
theatres during WW II by the US Army.
Length: 4.77 m (186 inches), w/dozer 6.10 m (238
Width: 2.60 m (101 inches), w/dozer 4.10 m (160
Height: 2.15 m (84 inches), without cab and
Weight: 16.600 kg (36.520 lb.), w/dozer 20.100 kg
Engine: Own 6-cylinder, type D14000, 20.430 cm3 (1246
cubic inches), liquid cooled.
Horsepower: 144 at 1.200 rpm.
Transfer case: 2-speed.
Electrical system: 6 volt.
without preparation: 1.10 m (43 inches).
Fuel type: Diesel.
Fuel capacity: 260 liter (57 gallons).
Range: 10 hours.
Additional: A two cylinder vertical
gasoline engine was fitted to the left hand side of the
diesel engine. This starting engine could be
started from either top of engine hood, or from the front
or from left hand side. The starting engine exhaust
pipe provide preheating for main engine air intake.
The machine could be fitted with following cable
controls: Either a front mounted single drum Le Tourneau
cable control for bulldozer only, or a rear mounted
double drum cable Le Tourneau control for scraper or
bulldozer. Some machines with front cable control
have rear mounted Hyster D8N 25 ton winch.